20 Aug Recipes for a Cure
An MS is BS Fundraiser for the 2012 Challenge Walk (Sep 21-22)
It’s been a hot minute since I’ve taken the time to make a traditional New Year’s Resolution. In that mine of the past were often (read: always) champagne-fueled and destined to fail, I can’t say that I miss them too much. However, in June of 2008, as I sat in the doctor’s office with my little sister and heard them diagnose her with multiple sclerosis, I replaced the notion of the annual resolution with a promise. Not a trumped-up promise, or one that I knew couldn’t be kept. It was plain and simple – that I would do everything in my power to fight for a cure to the disease that turned my sister’s life upside down. And that I would never give in to the despair that comes from fighting a disease that has entered the lives of so many. This year is no exception.
Our family and friends formed a team in 2009 called MS is BS that takes part in a series of fundraising events for the National MS Society. Each year, I walk in the Capital Challenge Walk, a 50K (30 mile) route that winds through the DC Metro Area and ends on the lawn of the US Capitol. In order to walk, we each have to raise $1500, and as such I do my damnedest to meet (and if I can, exceed) this fundraising goal. I try to get creative with my fundraising and see if I can hock my talents for a good cause – most of the time, this involves design, but this year I thought I’d make it all about my all-consuming passion that is food.
Since 2008, I’ve been food blogging for several sites, writing original recipes, cooking, photographing and posting memories and tips for likeminded foodies. Nothing makes me happier than to cook for folks and share my kitchen with them, so I thought I’d combine this love with my fundraising for the Challenge Walk. Original recipes written by me in exchange for a donation to our cause.
Here’s what you do:
- Make a tax-deductible donation of $25 or more on my NMSS page. All you do is click on the link below and hit the Donate to Angela button: http://bit.ly/angela2012ccw
- Next, fill out the short form at the bottom of this page, giving me some info on what kind of recipe you’d like. Make it as challenging as you’d like, since it’s for the *ahem* Challenge Walk. If you want to get an idea of the kinds of recipes I write, take a look at my site.
- I will write you an original recipe using the specifications that you left me on the form.
- I will cook, photograph and post the recipe to my website, Spice or Die, with a personal note thanking you for your donation. Note: I’ll only use your first name or keep it completely anonymous.
- I will issue you an IOU that the next time we are in the same locale and can make it work, I will try to cook said recipe for you in person. This last one is not guaranteed, but I will do my damnedest to make it happen.
- You will instantly become one of my BFFs. This one IS guaranteed.